[Sugar-devel] Etoys translations (was: Etoys in RC4 SoaS-v7 does not start when jabber is connected.)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon May 28 14:15:06 EDT 2012

On 28.05.2012, at 19:54, Peter Robinson wrote:

> symlinks don't work with the Fedora packaging language tools, I prefer
> that as it's what the rest of the sugar stack works with.

The way I imagine it is that the .mo files would be installed in /usr/share/locale as all the other packages do, too.

The only question is how to let Etoys know where to go look for its locale files. A symlink created by the installation script would be the simplest solution IMHO. Otherwise we would have to try to pass the directory as argument to etoys in its launcher script which to me seems overly complicated.

>> If we prefix all Etoys .mo files then they could be installed to the system folder.
>
> If you use the usual flags as used by all packages for Linux distros
> it means you're standard and it will work with all the various linux
> distro options.
>
> Peter

Not sure what you mean by flags. What I mean by prefixes is this:

Currently Etoys uses mo files named e.g. Collections.mo, Compression.mo, Connectors.mo, etc. This works fine because Etoys had the whole LC_MESSAGES directory for itself. I would propose to rename them to Etoys-Collections.mo, Etoys-Compression.mo, Etoys-Connectors.mo, etc. because if we share the same directory with other packages it would be hard to identify which mo files belong to Etoys.

- Bert -