[Sugar-devel] Some advices for me to develop activities (Above all, LearningWriting)

laurent bernabe laurent.bernabe at gmail.com
Tue May 22 09:09:29 EDT 2012

Hello everybody,

Some months ago, I've been starting developping a project for the OLPC :
LearningWriting. This project aims to help children learning writing, as
the title suggests. For this purpose, we (main actors) register animations
of a glyph, that a child will be able to playback. (Sorry for my poor
english). And even one of my goals is to let the child paint over a layer
representing the glyph (Not implemented yet). The LearningWriting project
has been hosted on Sugar GIT repository.

But, as I am used to switch betweens many projects on a my computer (though
they are little), I've been dropping it for a few months. (I apologize for
this). And I've been looking at the mailing list during all this time, and
I've seen that the sugar team have done many works in order to port sugar
to GTK3, but I did not followed this in details.

So here are my questions :

   - As I've installed Debian Squeeze (AMD 64) on my computer : 6.0.2. What
   is the best options if I want to develop or sugar, at the moment : Sugar
   JH-Build or getting sugar from the Debian repository ?
   - Should I develop the activity for the new GTK3 sugar version, or
   should I also develop for older sugar versions (at a cost of extra efforts)
   ?
   - Has a new version of the activity guide been released ? (Just in case
   of, otherwise I will read again the one I've got on my hard drive)

Regards