[Sugar-devel] Call for testing and feedback: alternative Journal implementation

Christophe Guéret c.d.m.gueret at vu.nl
Sat May 12 03:36:35 EDT 2012

> Is fulltext search implemented in existing light weight triple storages
> like in RDBMS? ie, if you need fulltext search, create particular index.

Nope, in fact you do not control the indexes. Triple store implementing
just what is in the recommendation index everything that is a literal. For
instance if the following triple is inserted '<
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Amsterdam> <
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> "Amsterdam"', only the string
"Amsterdam" will be indexed.

I mean, if fulltext feature is pluggable, it might make sense to disable
> it (to decrease resources consumption) and reuse Xapian instead. The reason
> is that Xapian is mature, fast, and humble in case of memory footprint,
> fulltext indexer.

It is not pluggable but the source code of the triple store is available.
It may make sense to dig into the code to disable the index and plug in
xapian instead if we find it to improve the performances, or if the regex
search in literals is not enough.
So far, I did not focus too much on the triple store and just took RedStore
that works "out of the box" on the XO and provide good enough performances.
There is another triple store, "4store" that would be more efficient and
have a lower foot print but making it fit the hardware of the XO will
require some hacking.

Christophe