[Sugar-devel] Call for testing and feedback: alternative Journal implementation

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Fri May 11 08:11:13 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 03:00:43PM +0200, Christophe Guéret wrote:
> >  How compare SemanticXO journal to our actual implementation, regarding to
> > disk space and performance (in a xo)

> Besides, I'd like to note that apart from the performance difference, which
> may or may not be in favour of the triple store, there is also a feature
> difference. Compared to the current data store, the triple store offers a
> more versatile data store with also has remote access (not secured now).
> We're currently busy developing activities highlighting how to take
> advantage from these extra features.
>
> Christophe

For remote access you mean such feature in particular triple storage
implementation?

If it is about adding remote access to some of existing triple storage
implementations, it might be useful to split the work into local part
(implement reliable/fast/resources-consumption-humble local storage)
and attaching this storage to the existing formation.

For example, there is an ongoing work for Sugar Network[1]. It is a
system of servers (master one and decentralized nodes that can be
synchronized with each other and with the master one) and clients that
work with servers via RESTful API. The system should contain arbitrary
content (indexed in Xapian), e.g, activities, activity objects, books,
etc. For now, server (node/master) is being implemented as Xapain
db with key/value storage (like Journal, but filesystem storage might be
replaced by more regular key/value db in the future). Plus, there is an
ongoing work for creating client. So, when local triple storage will be
good enough for being handling on a XO (Sugar Network is being developed
also for working out offline usecase in schools) and Sugar Network will
be in more stable stage[2], RDF storage might replace Xapian.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Network
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Harmonic_Distribution/1.0/Roadmap

--
Aleksey