[Sugar-devel] Browse failed to start with dbus UnknownMethod error in openSUSE

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Sun May 6 02:47:59 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 02:19:08PM +0800, Xin Wang wrote:
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 11:47:03PM +0800, Xin Wang wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Recently I'm trying to package sugar for openSUSE. Glucose packages
> >> have finished, and now I'm packaging Browse. But it failed to start
> >> with following error.
> >
> > btw, do you package Sugar for official repos or in of OBS projects?
> >
> > --
> > Aleksey
>
> I'm packaging in OBS for now.
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Adramwang%3Asugar
>
> When everything is mature, I will submit a request for merge into official repo.

I'm asking because there are outdated X11:Sugar and X11:Sugar:Unstable
OBS projects. afaik, they existed as a standalone projects all time
(you can ping cyberorg on #opensuse-edu channel on freenode, I was
working with him when I was populating these projects).

Also, you can consider contributing to Sweets Distributoin[1] which
exists on Sugar Labs instance of OBS on packages.sugarlabs.org.
Right now, Sweets Distributoin support Ubuntu and stable OLCP OS
(Fedora-14 based). The reasons to have Sweets Distributoin (in comparing
with Sugar in official packages) are:

* it is not all time possible to package new Sugar versions to already
  released official repos (afaik, only Debian/Ubuntu does it)

* having standalone repos, there is a benefit to package (Sweets
  Distributoin places it to /opt directory to not interfere w/ official
  packages) some packages with different build flags (like building
  telepathy-mission-control w/o keyring support, which is not used in
  Sugar) or different versions (if there is a problem w/ versions in
  official packages, like xulrunner-1.9 for gtk2 based Browse).

* we have the same Sugar version on all supported platforms[2] that should
  simplify supporting (not that people on Fedora have the recent one,
  and older Sugar on distros that is not well supported by packagers)

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sweets_Distribution
    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Harmonic_Distribution/Supported_platforms

--
Aleksey