[Sugar-devel] Help with translations on Clock

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:40:25 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Manuel Kaufmann <humitos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I need a bit of help with the translation process. I'm trying to fix
> this bug[1] but I don't know how is the workflow to do this and I
> don't want to make a mistake. I've already commented[2] the ticket
> explaining what is my problem and how I fixed it.
>
> [1] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2944
> [2] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2944#comment:7

I wonder how much of this may be traced back upstream to the glibc locales
 LC_TIME sections

http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree;f=localedata/locales;h=aa17c365ce474cfb9c7dab92b623bfb5a8786208;hb=refs/heads/release/2.14/master

Locale files  are very complex to decipher in part because the
representations are all in Unicode code numbers (and not always
commented in human readable form) and with some frequency (like in the
many Spanish variants) you need to trace back to another locale file
referenced by  a "copy es-ES"  transclusion.

Even more complicated is the coding system used to represent things
like day/month/year ordering.

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Formatting-Calendar-Time.html#Formatting-Calendar-Time

>From having followed the glibc locale lists and bugs (formerly
controlled by the infamous Ulrich Drepper) I can tell you that you
should NOT assume that the Gnu upstream is necessarily giving you the
correct information or that someone else would have reported such an
obvious bug earlier and had it fixed (the having it fixed part being
the greatest challenge under the previous control regime).  The good
news is that it has gotten easier to get glibc bugs fixed in recent
months as Ulrich has moved on to other pursuits.

Just a hint on doing a quick assessment of the glibc locale.  Claude
Paroz (of Gnome i18n team) has made a tool for developing locale files
that presents locale information in a more human readable interface,
although for any given locale you need to confirm that the info he
presents is still current in glibc HEAD repo.

http://lh.2xlibre.net/locales/

cjl
Sugar labs Translation Team Coordinator