[Sugar-devel] Installing gstreamer media codecs on XO-1

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Wed Mar 21 01:03:21 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 03:29:03AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:

> > 3. is the update step above necessary (it requires downloading 33MB)
>
> I have not tried this, it may be. I dont know the complete list of rpms that it
> installed other then the 2 you said.  those 2 might work with the current
> packages or they might need to update a few packages and download the needed
> dependencies which means the update is needed.  This sounds like it might need
> a local 'proxy'/mirror server to the needed rpms. so the xo's could do the 'rpm
> update' but would get the 'update' and the needed rpms from a local server.
> this would need the XOs to alter their rpm repo list.  i'm not a rpm expert, so
> you'd need to test a solution to ensure it works and does not alter other
> support issues.
>
> old way:
> XO->Fedora server (per each XO over the global internet)
> vs
> new way:
> local Fedora server->Fedora server (via the global internet one time)
> XO->local Fedora server(per each XO over a local area network (LAN))

Someone also reminded me of using SSHFS on the XO to connect to the XS as a way
to have /var/cache/yum with the rpms you need.

> Hopes this explains and any one can correct/add as needed.
>
> --
> |  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
> | : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|
> | `. `'   http://www.debian.org/.| http://counter.li.org [#238656]|
> |___`-____Unless I ask to be CCd,.assume I am subscribed._________|
>
> Is this TERMINAL fun?

|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|
| `. `'   http://www.debian.org/.| http://counter.li.org [#238656]|
|___`-____Unless I ask to be CCd,.assume I am subscribed._________|

Could somebody drag the Irix team kicking and screaming into the 1980's,
please?

I realize it might be quite painful for them, but maybe you could buy them
a disco tape, so they'd feel a little bit more at home.

		-- Linus "Stayin' alive, stayin' alive" Torvalds