[Sugar-devel] Disable the XO keyboard

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sun Mar 11 14:20:56 EDT 2012

walter wrote:
 > On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Agustin Zubiaga Sanchez
 > <aguz at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > > I've a XO with a broken keyboard (writes: ]]]]] steadily)
 > > I have to wait a week to send to fix, and I thought I could connect an
 > > external
 > > keyboard so I have to disable the internal keyboard...
 > >
 > > ¿Somebody can help me to disable the XO keyboard?
 >
 > You don't need to disable the XO keyboard in order to use an external
 > keyboard, but if the key is stuck, then you will probably have to
 > disconnect the ribbon cable, which will also disable the touch pad. Do
 > you have a USB mouse?

hmm.  normally i would say to do this, to disable the keyboard:
    # cd /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0
    # echo -n manual > bind_mode
    # echo -n none > drvctl

but i think walter is right -- if there's a stuck key, you won't
be able to run those commands.   unless you can ssh to the machine,
of course.  :-)

paul