[Sugar-devel] Open Source translations DB

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 11:58:05 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of the translation team might find this project of interest.
>
> http://littlesvr.ca/grumble/2012/03/08/announcing-the-open-source-translation-database/
>
> Regards,
> Peter

Thanks Peter,

I've copied the Localization list and I will look into it myself.

It sounds like they may be recreating part of what is present in open-tran

http://open-tran.eu/projects.html

Although the ability to populate a POT is not something that open-tran
has, nor does it accept uploads of other PO files.  I do encourage
developers to take a look when phrasing new strings to see if an
already coined upstream phrase will do, so that we leverage efforts
like this as much as feasible.

Users familiar with current versions of Virtaal (the off-line PO
editor from the makers of Poolte) will be familiar with the fact that
it has a built-in suggestion feature that accesses yet another
translations database called Amagama and even the Bing translator, but
it does this while you are going through the PO line by line, so it is
more interactive.

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/amagama

I believe this feature will be making it's way into Pootle in a near
future release.

In the end of the day, there is no substitute for the judgement of a
human translator, but given the common vocabulary that so many
programs draw from for menus (Edit, Copy, Paste, etc.) I do think
there is a place for efforts like OSTD (even though in Sugar we
translate Delete two different ways in Spanish, on purpose, based on
context).

I just wish they would all work together to build one big tool and
database rather than a lot of fragmented efforts :-(

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator