[Sugar-devel] My project LearningWriting : some guideleness advises ?

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Fri Mar 9 05:46:10 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:16 AM, laurent bernabe
<laurent.bernabe at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I plan to go on developping on my project LearningWriting I post on sugar
> gitorious a few months ago.
> But, as I'm facing some developping difficulties, I woul like to have your
> suggest about some details :
>

>    1. My program, in its current state, (parenthesis : no internalization
>    yet), just lets a user draw whatever he wants on a kind of blackboard with
>    just the chalck, and whenever he want, he can replay the animation. But he
>    can configure the point size and the animation speed size.

Nice. Would be better have a entry in the toolbar to set the velocity
instead of using a window. Or better use a gtk.HScale
And please use the "new" toolbars (present since sugar 0.86, see the work
we did in http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/ToolbarCatalog)

>    1. The main purpose of this program, is to let teachers make their own
>    letters/digits sets, or download and install existing sets. I think a
>    tarball format is the best archive format purposal. I know Python reduce
>    the complexity for creating such archives, but what I wonder is if I will
>    be able to let user easily import/export archives to/from a usb key (and/or
>    the journal). I have a copy of the activity guideleness, and I must read it
>    further that I've done before, but do you think this use case can be easily
>    implemented ?

You can save easily the data in a json format and assign to the activity a
mimetype, (like you are doing)
then the files will be recognized in the journal or in a external device.
If you can't see the extension assigned when you copy a file from the
journal to a pendrive,
remember the activity should be installed (with a .xo) to sugar recognize
the mimetype.

>    1. Should I use Python3 ? Should I try to program for GTK 3 ?
>
> No. You should no use python 3, sugar is not ported and will not in the
near future.
GTK 3 is not needed right now, but if you plan use it in 6 months/1 year,
will be ok
(but can do your development a little more difficult.
You are using cairo to draw, then porting to gtk3 will be easy.

Gonzalo