[Sugar-devel] Branching Glucose modules

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 22:49:51 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just branched the various Glucose modules. The 'sucrose-0.96' branch will
> be used for stable releases and the master branch to continue further
> development. Bug fixes will be cherry-picked from the master branches to the
> stable branches.
>
> * sugar
> * sugar-toolkit-gtk3
> * sugar-artwork
> * sugar-datastore
>
> The branches for pootle should be created accordingly. Please don't do any
> mass pushes to the stable branches for localization anymore. Only if a
> translation coordinator feels confident about making their translations
> available they should be present on the stable branches.
>
> The following modules have not been branched due to deprecation:
>
> * sugar-toolkit (will be replaced by sugar-toolkit-gtk3 and therefore only
> see bugfixes)
> * sugar-base (moved inside sugar-toolkit-gtk3)
> * sugar-presence-service (has been deprecated for a long time already)

Simon,

sugar-presence-service is not present in Glucose (0.96), AFAICT, and
therefore branching it will not be needed,

I would like to request that you branch sugar-toolkit and sugar-base
creating ""sucrose-0.96" branches for them.

The reasons for this are as follows:

a) In spite of the fact that developer commits to these branches are
not anticipated due to their EOL status during the 0.97 > 0.98 release
cycle, it should be recognized that L10n commits to the 0.96 versions
of these modules will continue for some time, possibly even with new
languages being added as 0.96 is going to have a continuing
"in-service" lifetime of several years, depending on decisions made by
deployments.

b) Should any backports of features ever be considered to these
particular elements of the "sucrose-0.96" series, it would be best if
there was an unambiguously named branch (as opposed to an un-versioned
"master" to which these commits could be made (however unlikely it is
that this will occur).

c) Creating named "sucrose-0.96" branches of these modules will allow
me to create the newly branched Glucose 0.96 project in Pootle with
unambiguous commit links (needed at the time of set-up).

I appreciate your consideration of this request.

Regards,

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator