[Sugar-devel] [REMINDER] Development team meeting --- 05. June 2012 (15:00 UTC)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 11:07:18 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 2012-06-11, at 16:16, Walter Bender wrote:

>>> That would mean XO bundles need to ship with their git repositories. Increases the installed size by two, at least.
>>
>> Not necessarily. You can just run git init to create a new repository
>> on the clone, for example.
>
> How would that help submitting proper patches?

Speaking specifically to the issue of a patch, you could create a new
git repository for the code and create a patch. It should apply
equally well to the original repository. In any case, it would be easy
for a developer to see how to apply the patch.

But I am of the opinion that git would be useful toward the problem of
developing new activities on the XO as well. And it is necessary to
have a git repository in order to run the setup.py scripts these days.
Don't really know how you can be productive without it.

-walter

> (I'm not opposed to including git, just saying that for proper patches you need the proper commit history)
>
>>> Or there would have to be a mechanism to fetch the git data (e.g. if the activity info included a repo url and commit number). That's actually how we do it in Etoys (though not using git but Monticello) - you can modify it and then diff against a version downloaded from the repository.
>>>
>>> Another idea avoiding the download would be to diff the original and the copy. For that you just need a tiny shellscript (or a few lines of python).
>

> This diffing would have the same effect as patches made from a new git repository.
>
> - Bert -

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org