[Sugar-devel] Squeak / Etoys development under Sugar (was: Object Chooser)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jun 8 08:18:54 EDT 2012

On 07.06.2012, at 21:36, Ajay Garg wrote:

> Thanks Bert for the reply.
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 07.06.2012, at 15:57, Ajay Garg wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Bert.
>> >
>> > a)
>> > Could you give a rough idea, as to what is the release cycle for squeak-vm?
>>
>> There is no fixed release cycle, releases are done as needed and as time permits. Once or twice a year has been typical.
>>
>> What is your time frame? If need be one could package a Squeak VM + patches.
>
> Well, we need the squeak-vm (with the "Mpeg3Plugin.c" fix) for ceibal right-away.

What do you mean, "for ceibal"?

OLPC is working on 11.3.1, which is based on Sugar 0.94, but appears to be fairly stable. 12.x is in the works too but a bit further off. I'd have assumed that Plan Ceibal takes the latest OLPC release and customizes it. Is that not so? How does your release process work?

> It will be best, if you could provide with any of the following options  ::
>
> a)
> "squeak-vm-4.4.47 RPM for x86 "AND "squeak-vm-4.4.47 RPM for ARM".
>
>                                            OR
> b)
> "squeak-vm-4.4.47 SRPM".

I can't provide any of that. My spare time is limited, you know ;)

(I am a freelancing developer, but my schedule is pretty full. I take on the occasional contract, in particular if

> So, all we need to do is replace the "old" etoys.image and etoys.changes with the "latest" etoys.image and etoys.changes, respectively?
> If yes, then we would be needing the SRPM for etoys-5.0.2406. (Or the older SRPM for etoys-4.1 would do ?)

Err, not so fast. What I described is how you can develop stuff, and how you can test stuff that is in development.

You're welcome to submit fixes upstream. Here's a brief Etoys developer how-to:

	http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Developer-HowTo.txt

Also, please subscribe to etoys-dev and tell us what you're doing: