[Sugar-devel] Object Chooser (was Re: Etoys mp3 files)

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:53:36 EDT 2012

Hi Bert.

There is good news, and (rather mild bad news).

I updated the code from etoys4.1 to etoys5.0, as suggested by you via
"update code from server", and the following use-cases worked perfectly as
expected ::

a)
Open an mp3 from a USB pen-drive via journal-object-chooser.
Click "Play in MPEG player".
The mp3 starts playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Play".
mp3 resumes playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Rewind".
Click "Play".
mp3 starts playing from the beginning.

b)
Open an mp3 from a USB pen-drive via journal-object-chooser.
Click "Open".
Click "Play".
The mp3 starts playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Play".
mp3 resumes playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Rewind".
Click "Play".
mp3 starts playing from the beginning.

c)
Open an mp3 from the journal via journal-object-chooser.
Click "Play in MPEG player".
The mp3 starts playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Play".
mp3 resumes playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Rewind".
Click "Play".
mp3 DOES NOT PLAY. Instead an error comes up, saying that the file-name has
changed.

d)
Open an mp3 from the journal via journal-object-chooser.
Click "Open".
Click "Play".
The mp3 starts playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Play".
mp3 resumes playing.
Click "Stop".
Click "Rewind".
Click "Play".
mp3 DOES NOT PLAY. Instead an error comes up, saying that the file-name has
changed.

e)
I tried steps a), b), c), d) with etoys4.1.
a) and b) failed (for obvious reasons).
c) and d) ALSO failed, with the same symptoms.

f)
I tried installing the new rolled out
etoys-5.0.2406-1.fc17.noarch.rpm<http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/etoys/5.0.2406/1.fc17/noarch/etoys-5.0.2406-1.fc17.noarch.rpm>
However, it needed a squeak-vm greater than 3.10.
Now, I had uninstalled the squeak-vm, and installed it instead via source
(for 4.0 branch).
So, I installed the rpm by "sudo rpm -i --nodeps
etoys-5.0.2406-1.fc17.noarch.rpm<http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/etoys/5.0.2406/1.fc17/noarch/etoys-5.0.2406-1.fc17.noarch.rpm>
".
a) and b) CONTINUED TO FAIL (meaning that the change did not take effect).

So, Bert,

(i)
Could the new rpm for squeak-vm (from 4.0 branch) also be rolled out; so
that the mpeg-plugin change could also be tested end-to-end.

(ii)
Kindly provide me a snapshot of your last commit, so that I may go through
the mechanics of making the change in etoys. I would then subequently like
to fix cases c) and d)  :-)

Thanks a ton ....

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay