[Sugar-devel] Etoys mp3 files

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Mon Jun 4 07:43:21 EDT 2012

Ajay Garg <ajay at activitycentral.com> writes:

> As seen from the logs, the (mp3) file that was opened, was present in a USB
> pen drive.
> ANY ENTRY, when accessed via USB-pen-drive, will give this error (i.e. mp3,
> jpeg, png - any file).

Can you give more details, please? I can't reproduce the problem with
Read on mainline master (sugar-jhbuild, Debian Wheezy). Or is this only
with Etoys? (your mail sounded like it is a general problem with Sugar)

It's quite likely that Etoys doesn't implement its side of the
essentially undocumented Object Chooser API of Sugar 0.84+ correctly. In
particular, the object_id parameter of the ObjectChooserResponse signal
will contain a) the data store object id (currently stored as property
'uid') for Journal objects or b) the full path to the file for entries
stored on external storage media.

> As happens with all entries that are accessed from USB pen-drives, these
> entries too need to be copied first to the journal, to maintain
> compatability.

No, we should not do even more automatic copies to the Journal than we
already do. See SL#496 [1] for why that's a problem.

[lots of full-quotes removed]

Please trim quotes when replying. See [2] for some general guidelines.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/496
[2] http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
--