[Sugar-devel] Etoys mp3 files

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jun 2 06:47:40 EDT 2012

Hi Ajay,

the entire source code is accessible from Etoys, by pressing the view-source key (or ctrl-comma), as I mentioned earlier. Open a System Browser to see the entire tree. This is not just a viewer, but you can modify the live system.

Smalltalk (of which Squeak is a dialect) does not use source-code-in-text-files. That idea was abandoned back in the early 70ies. Instead, we modify objects directly in memory. E.g., adding a method means adding a CompiledMethod object to the class object's method dictionary. For safety we also log source code changes to a database, but that's only secondary.

The primary means of saving is dumping the whole object memory to disc (that's the "etoys.image" file). When loading it back into memory, execution resumes exactly where it left off. There is no "main" function, although you register certain objects to be notified on resume. That way, the system has been running forever. There are objects in it that were created 30 years ago. Which is pretty cool, in my opinion, but quite a bit different from most other programming systems today.

In any case, Etoys comes with all the Squeak tools to inspect and modify itself. The central class managing Sugar integration is called SugarLauncher. The entry point is its "startUp" method.

- Bert -