[Sugar-devel] porting Gstreamer Activities to PYGobject and Gstreamer 1.0

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jul 30 19:40:36 EDT 2012

Hey Activity team,

so in the last days we have been looking here at Gstreamer and the
situation in regards to Pygobject and GTK+ 3.

All in all in order to use Gstreamer with introspection we have to use
Gstreamer 1.0 (0.12). Version 0.10 is dead, and will never really work
with introspection (see [1] and what we know as well from talking with
the Gstreamer devs).

I talked to Peter and Gstreamer-1.0 should be packaged with F18, see
recent discussions [2].

In the meantime when you port your activity you can build Gstreamer on
your system and use a script to point your activity to the new Gstreamer
version [3][4].

If you are stuck while poring you can have a look at the Pitivi porting
branch [5].

Regards,
    Simon

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Novacut/GStreamer1.0#Python_Porting_Guide