[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Proposal: Multi-Selection and Batch Operations on Journal entries

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Wed Jul 18 12:41:35 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Anish Mangal <anish at activitycentral.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 July 2012 07:56 PM, Ajay Garg wrote:
> > Hi Samuel.
> >
> > Please find the replies inline.
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Samuel Greenfeld
> > <greenfeld at laptop.org <mailto:greenfeld at laptop.org>> wrote:
> >
> > I see in the final screenshots that all of the selected items are
> > deselected.
> >
> > Is this automatic, or does the user have to choose the "deselect
> > all" button to do this?
> >

> > This is automatic (on the fly).
> >

> > Personally I would prefer if the checkboxes remain selected in the
> > source view (if not an erase operation that removes the item).
> > That would allow the user to do multiple actions (Copy then Erase
> > for a "Move"), and confirm after the operation that they selected
> > the items they intended to select.
> >

> > Well, the code is generic enough, and the above may be accomplished
> > if there is a general consensus.
> >
> > However, the current flow (automatic de-selection), "helps" user to
> > "not deselect" "explicitly", in the general case.
> >
> > I believe that copy-then-erase is a more of a special case, than a
> > general one. For eg., copying-from-a-USB-pendrive-to-journal is
> > more probable, than
> >
> copying-from-a-USB-pendrive-to-journal-and-then-erasing-the-contents-of-USB-pendrive.
> >

> > It seems from these screenshots like we are trying to indicate
> > copying progress by deselecting items as we copy them, and I do
> > not know of another OS that does that.
> >

> > The workflow is ::
> >
> > (i) Operate on entry "x".
> >
> > (ii) Deselect the entry "x".
> >
> > (iii) Goto step (i)
> >

> > Also, it's good if Sugar tries to be different, as long as it does
> > the right thing :P
> >

> I think I can offer one explanation why it now, the way it is.
> Of-course, whether it's the right way to do things or needs to change,
> needs to be determined by this design discussion.
>
> During the initial stages of the development of this feature, the
> select and deselect operations were quite slow, because every
> select/deselect change was being written to the journal entry metadata.
> This made it essential to show progress of both select/deselect as the
> operation often took several seconds (in some cases minutes)

Just wanted to clarify, that it wasn't Martin's code that was slowing this
down.

It was me, who had re-factored quite a bit of code, to incorporate the
differences as listed in
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Multi_selection_screenshots#History.

There, in the first iteration, the "selected" metadata was being written
onto disk.

Thankfully, Anish interrupted  promptly, and the "selection" metadata was
then held in memory.