[Sugar-devel] About the build out-of-source-directory patches

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jul 13 01:38:28 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:39:11AM +0200, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is a follow up of the development meeting. Sascha had some
> question about my build out-of-source directory patches.
>
> >IIRC, we're a) missing some explanation of the overall picture (what do we want to solve, how do we solve it in sugar, why do we solve it this way, what other >changes are needed?) and b) previous review comments were applied only partially
>
> a)
> My own need is that by building out-of-source directory I can speed up
> sugar-build a lot because I don't need to pull the sources every time.
> I can clean build and install and the tree is fully clean.
> But it's often just a developer preference to build stuff that way.
> Build out-of-source directory is a very common convention in auto*
> projects, and fully supported by most of them, I never had issue
> getting patches accepted to fix it.
> I really see no reason sugar should not support it. Especially because
> it almost completely supports it already (otherwise you couldn't
> distcheck), it's just the autogen.sh bits which are broken. It's a bug
> fix, not a new feature.

Agreed, out of tree building is very useful feature, and there seems
no reason not to support it.  Also, I'm on the end of a slow network
connection, so I like the idea of not having to pull the sources every
time.

> No other changes will be necessary.
> b) Can you elaborate please?

If there was some way in which my review failed, please let me know.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/