[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] Patch written for "Presence not updated, when client disconencts from telepathy-salut"

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Tue Jul 10 10:13:18 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Ajay Garg <ajay at activitycentral.com>
> wrote:
> > More update (from Avahi) :
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/avahi@lists.freedesktop.org/msg01896.html
>
> So perhaps Telepathy-Salut should be told to contact its known nodes
> regularly, and prune stale entries?

Don't know if that would make a difference, because either ways, a machine
would send a (polling) signal to all the machines on the network, all of
which are known to it. That is, if there are N machines connected to a
(wifi) telepathy-salut network, each machine would be seeing the other N-1
machines; and each machine would be sending the (polling) signal to each of
the N-1 machines, be it in client-mode or server-mode.

> As they state, mDNS & DNS-SD are in use in fairly large networks with
> lots of nodes, so they have to be rather careful in not being too
> chatty.
>
> In our application of Telepathy/Salut, which in turn (mis?)uses
> mDNS/DNS-SD, we *know* that it only works passably with a small number
> of nodes,

so we are prepared to make it a bit chattier. It's only a
> shade more of chatty.

+1.
Especially more so, if we would be solving a major use-case :)

> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC
>  - ask interesting questions