[Sugar-devel] mini adventure on the XS

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 14:31:17 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Oh, I forgot to mention this: Children in Bhagmalpur are fluent in
> Hindi (reading, writing and speaking), but their English is quite
> poor. Yet, they've stumbled along on the English localization of
> Sugar. Some time ago, two kids accidentally switched Sugar to Spanish,
> and...for whatever reason, they just kept going. Now we have two kids
> who use Sugar in Spanish, with no prior knowledge of Spanish, and are
> still able to navigate the UI and get things done.
>
> Go figure :-)

Our Hindi L10n of Sugar is actually in pretty good shape, althouhg it
coudl use some more work to be complete.  If it's not localized,
they'd get the English strings, so no worse than the current
situation.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/hi/

It is also easily installed via language pack on XO laptops.

I'd be happy to offer help if you tell me what Sugar version they are
using.  (We haven't been generating 0.96 langpacks yet, but we can.)

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/langpacks/

cjl