[Sugar-devel] [Sugar] Implement text to speech in Sugar feature - v2

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Jan 30 17:32:23 EST 2012

On 01/30/2012 08:55 PM, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Excerpts from Gonzalo Odiard's message of 2012-01-25 17:46:01 +0100:
> [...]
>
>>> Why do we need a Stop button in addition to Play/Pause? And where does
>>> this callback get invoked? AFAICT the hook-up is commented out.
>>>
>> If you have a long text been played, and want finish or start again
>> from the beginning, you need a stop button.
>
> How about a rewind button instead? That would make it clearer what the
> difference between the buttons is.

A rewind button for stopping the playback? I think the stop button is
the best option here. Stop means stop, rewind is stop and play again.

>>> [extensions/globalkey/speech.py]
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> This will collide with shortcuts from existing applications and
>>> activities, especially since GTK uses<Alt>  for mnemonics [7]. To give a
>>> concrete example of a non-mnemonic case: the Scan activity [8] uses
>>> <Alt>+S to start or stop scanning [9].
>>>
>>> Why didn't you keep the existing shortcut (<Alt><Shift>S)?
>>>
>> I have changed it by Simon suggestion. Please read the other reviews.
>> Scan activity? Is not in ASLO yet. You can change it ;)
>
> Seems I wasn't clear enough: You're going to break _a_ _lot_ of existing
> applications if you add a global shortcut with only<Alt>  as modifier.
> Anything based on GTK and using mnemonics will have a good chance of
> already using<Alt>+S. (*)
>
> We already have a shortcut for this functionality that's less likely to
> be used by applications than<Alt>+S is. We simply need to keep using
> it, thereby retaining compatibility with previous Sugar versions and not
> breaking random applications (that use<Alt>+S) with avoidable platform
> changes.

I don't think <Alt><Shift>S is a too long shortcut. Would be great to
find something simpler with maximum two keys to press.

Regards,
    Simon