[Sugar-devel] 3 Questions From A New Sugar User Age 21

Ma Xiaojun damage3025 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:59:14 EST 2012

> Have you contacted any of the XO deployments in China?
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_China
> http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/china/

Not yet.

> Do you have an interest in localizing Sugar to Hong Kong Chinese?
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/zh_HK/

Yes. I learned Simplified Chinese in my primary school so I would
consider zh_CN first. Another consideration is that should we separate
zh_HK and zh_TW? I would ask local Hong Konger as well.

> Most classrooms contain a geek who would be delighted to assist the rest
> of the class in software installations and other tech projects, whose
> talents have previously been unrecognized or have gone to waste. We have a
> number of stories of such children gaining new respect and value to the
> community in this way.

I know OLPC is mainly towards developing world. Moreover, I think
Sugar is also relevant for education in developed world. However, it
is hard, at least for me, to have many children using Sugar in a
classroom. I would recommend Sugar to parents I know. They may wonder
when to give their children a PC and/or a iPad. I'd demo the usage of
Sugar to them and be prepared to give technical support to these
isolated users.