[Sugar-devel] 3 Questions From A New Sugar User Age 21

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Jan 24 11:13:54 EST 2012

On 01/24/2012 07:49 AM, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> If I select a wrong list, please let me know.
>
> I'm an undergraduate and an enthusiastic Linux user. I joined a OLPC
> event in Hong Kong recently. I appreciate OLPC's principles. In
> particular, I find OLPC XO's software interesting, which is based on
> Sugar.
>
> So, I tried SoaS (http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/) today and
> would like to recommend Sugar to parents I know. However, I have
> questions.
>
> 1. Can I install SoaS to hard disk?

enter "liveinst" from the sugar-terminal
or use the f16 netinstall cd
and select "configure now" and select only the sugar-desktop.
> I know we can install a Linux distribution first, then install Sugar
> package. But most parents are Windows folks, right?
> People may want to test Sugar in their VirtualBox, VMWare or so.
> Booting from virtual CD-ROM and installing into hard disk is the most
> intuitive, right? I'm using VirtualBox and SoaS now. I cannot save
> anything.
> We may need to lock children to Sugar. The hard disk installation is
> the most reliable one.
> (I know all the issues can be solved with hacks, but this project is
> definitely not towards geeks, right?)
>
> 2. The HTML version of Sugar manual have broken images. Please fix it.
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/sugar/
> The PDF version is OK, though.
>
> 3. Not a really a question. I find the SugarLabs wiki confusing.
try looking at

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Introduction_to_the_Sugar_Interface
and

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Community_Distributions_Complete_Listing
for information about sugar on other distributions.

Have Fun

Tom Gilliard
satellit_ on #sugar freenode IRC