[Sugar-devel] downloading disk images via bittorrent (was: 883 on XO1)

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Tue Jan 10 14:11:19 EST 2012

Excerpts from Richard A. Smith's message of 2012-01-08 20:01:55 +0100:

> Having builds available via bittorrent or some other p2p tool would be
> very useful when the dev team in in China.

MirrorBrain (the tool used to host download.sugarlabs.org) can
automatically create torrent files [1,2]. (*)

In general this wouldn't actually help you as there's probably no one
seeding the files via bittorrent, but ...

> Bandwidth at the factory is
> limited on per IP basis.  If the builds were available via p2p with
> swarming then the team could peer each other and we all would download
> chunks in parallel.

in your particular case even the above could be enough. Most bittorrent
clients have DHT support, so you don't need a tracker. The torrent file
includes "web seeds" using URLs of mirrors, so if your client supports
downloading chunks via HTTP, it should just work.

And even without using MirrorBrain for download.laptop.org (possibly by
backing it with SL infrastructure), just creating a single torrent file
including a web seed should work well enough for downloading the image
at the factory.

Sascha

(*) I'm working on enabling this for download.sugarlabs.org, but hit a
    bug [3], so not going to happen today.
[1] http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/configuration/#configuring-torrent-generation
[2] http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/installation/initial_config/#creating-hashes
[3] http://mirrorbrain.org/issues/issue94