[Sugar-devel] 883 on XO1

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Fri Jan 6 00:26:34 EST 2012

Apologies if this has been explored before, I have not been able to stay
current. I am posting on both Sugar and OLPC dev lists.

I live in Solomon Islands, where we have very poor Internet access and
downloading is affected by satellite latency etc.

I just tried to install the latest stable  for XO1, advertised as 883 /
11.3.0 on one of my few XO-1s. I have not had access to any higher versions
of the XO and am working with a programme in PNG which has XO-1s.

I downloaded the image (BTW in Solomon Islands that cost me USD 85) using a
download manager Star Downloader (to protect me against Internet drop outs).
It downloaded with no errors reported. I then tried to install on my XO
using a flashdrive as per the usual 4-game key method.

On first attempt it failed during the part where you see the progress
indicated graphically with the memory grid in green yellow and black. It
says:

4ce Bad hash for eblock# 4ca

Your USB key may be bad...please see http:/wiki.laptop.org/go/Bad_hash

The diagnosis is that it's either bad flashdrive or bad download. I tried 2
other flashdrives that have successfully been used before, and same result
at same place.

So i conclude I have just thrown USD 85 down the toilet.

Can anyone with similar or relevant experience comment.

David in Solomon Islands  "Not Happy"