[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Browse: [+] for adding a new tab always at the far right?

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Jan 4 05:50:47 EST 2012

2012/1/4 Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>:
> Hi,
>
> due to API changes in the GTK Notebook [1] we can add now an action widget
> to it (e.g. a button to add a new tab). So far our 'add-new-tab'-button in
> Browse was another special tab. We could simplify the Browse code a lot by
> using the action widget instead. Yay!
>
> There will be a visual difference with this approach, the Button will always
> be at the far right. I don't think this is a regression over the old design
> where the button was always next to the last tab, but thought I mentioned it
> here so Designers can scream now if they see any issue with this. Btw,
> Safari uses the same style, with a button at the far right for adding a new
> tab (once a tab is open).
>
> Attached is as well a screenshot that illustrates this (don't pay attention
> to the colors we are working on the the theme atm...).

After thinking for a while, I see this as a feature.  The '+' button
is always in the same place.

One difference to consider is that using this action widget, the '+'
is no more inside a tab, resembling "add tab" action.  But I think it
is still obvious, being in the same row as tabs.

And yes, the code simplification is great, current implementation of
the '+' is a bit hackish, and is giving errors in the logs.

--
.. manuq ..