[Sugar-devel] USB permissions for educational robots

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Jan 3 10:56:12 EST 2012

andres wrote:
 > Here in uruguay xo`s are distributed with no permission to install rpm or
 > modify udev rules, so is very important to have this rules added to work
 > with butiá 2.0 and nxt in a near future.

we can add it, but clearly it would be best if deployments or even
local classrooms could add new device capabilities on their own.
because as soon as we say "great, we're done", someone will create
a new USB device that kids and teachers everywhere will want to use.

i would greatly appreciate someone coming up with a scheme to allow
the end-user, or a deployment, to add devices on their own.

perhaps the user should be given r/w permission for any USB device.
(yes, i understand there are big risks with that.  feel free to
propose exceptions that would make this safe.)

paul