[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Google Summer of Code

Sascha Silbe silbe at sugarlabs.org
Tue Feb 28 12:47:37 EST 2012

Excerpts from Walter Bender's message of 2012-02-09 03:49:42 +0100:

> Done. Two ideas already posted.

There are at least ten ideas posted by now (thanks go to Walter and a
few others). Most of the look quite interesting, but also rather
demanding. The description doesn't always reflect how hard it is, e.g.
"Background Image on Home View" fails to mention that the Home View
needs to be converted from hippo-canvas to plain GTK *first* (which I
don't see anyone else doing until April, when students are supposed to
start familiarising themselves with the project).

As much as I'd like to see those features in Sugar, they are out of
scope for GSoC, unless you manage to attract rather exceptional students
(best of the best, not just local best). Personally I'd prefer to have
students working on smaller projects and making sure their work actually
lands upstream. I can't check (as the wiki server is physically moving
right now), but AFAIR very few GSoC projects actually made it upstream
into Sugar.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/