[Sugar-devel] Can we be a little more friendly to Ubuntu users

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Feb 28 01:48:00 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 01:56:03PM +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> > I don't know of one. ?Try sucrose-0.90. ?Trisquel probably won't have a
> > later version of Sugar than Ubuntu does ... if they did, they would have
> > pushed the work upstream to Ubuntu and Debian.
> >
> > Otherwise, use Sweets. ?Have you tried that yet?
>
> Testing is not very easy for me. I'm an undergraduate having classes
> to attend, you know.

Well, I've tested Sweets just now, and it works well.  It is worth the
small number of extra commands to cut and paste.

Sweets includes many more activities than the Ubuntu packages do.
Browse works fine on Sweets.  Browse does not work at all when using the
Ubuntu packages.  I recommend you try Sweets.

> Sugar's wiki shouldn't be a place for distribution recommendation
> and/or debate. [...]

On the one hand, yes, it should be a place, because we want users to use
Sugar.  If that means we have to admit that using a particular
distribution won't give them a good experience, or that they would need
a degree in software engineering to install Sugar properly, then so be
it.

> We'd respect users' origin choices as much as possible.
> Personally, I don't like distribution switch recommendation. Can
> anyone prove or disprove whether Trisquel offers practical advantage
> over Ubuntu with regard to Sugar installation.

I agree, I don't like the switch recommendation either, but mainly
because it doesn't answer the question "I've got Ubuntu and I want to
use Sugar, how do I do it?".  I've removed it.  Thanks!

> AFAIK, Trisquel inspired the author of Sweets. This can be mentioned
> in the Ubuntu page, but it has nothing to do with distribution switch.
> I just knew Fedora-based SoaS before noticing similar, probably
> better, Trisquel-based TOAST. TOAST should be useful for anyone who
> can use a x86 virtual/real machine. It can be mentioned in Ubuntu page
> because Ubuntu users may expect Ubuntu like command line rather than
> Fedora command line. TOAST has nothing to do with distribution switch
> as well.

Hmm.  Yes, I agree, but I'd rather the Ubuntu page not be cluttered and
disorganised.  These things could go in the Talk page.

> Trisquel's page is not satisfactory also. But my focus would limit to
> Ubuntu page currently.

I agree.  I've focused on the Ubuntu page, because I felt it was an
important distribution with a large user base.

> For Ubuntu Sugar Remix, I notice that their mailing list already have
> had spams for some times. It seems that the origin team is not there
> any more. Maybe I should try to ask "mainstream" Ubuntu people
> directly.

Jonas in the Debian team seems to be aware of the status.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/