[Sugar-devel] Can we be a little more friendly to Ubuntu users

Ma Xiaojun damage3025 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:49:47 EST 2012

Hi, all

My main reference is
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu , I assume
its accuracy. Please correct me when needed.

The BIG picture I got:
Install Sugar 0.90 is easy, but it is obsolete.
Sugar is 0.94 is recommended, but, how to install it? What to do with
the fancy link http://download.sugarlabs.org/packages/SweetsDistribution:/0.94/Ubuntu-11.04/

I happened to know what is /etc/apt/sources.list .
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man5/sources.list.5.html

You should know what I mean, BUT:
Should we have some documentation for adding this repository in CLI and GUI?
Should we have a PPA to make things easier? I mean PPA's apt line is
simpler and there is a CLI shortcut for adding PPA.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

I'm not a Ubuntu or Linux expert anyway. I have no access to a working
Ubuntu temporarily, so, let me collect some discussion first.

Thank you in advance.