[Sugar-devel] Sugar docs

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:45:20 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>> On 02/20/2012 04:08 PM, Bastien wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Simon,

>>> At the SugarCamp in Paris, I brievely mentioned readthedocs:
>>>
>>>   http://readthedocs.org/
>>>
>>> Florent Pigout told me about this service, which looks quite
>>> nice.   Maybe the Sugar community could use something like this
>>> instead of FlossManuals?  FM may be suitable for end-users docs
>>> but not that much for developers docs.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>

>> GNOME does use mallard [1] for their documentation in the docs (yelp). The
>> concept of "topic-oriented" documentation is nice, I think. Furthermore
>> using the same tools as GNOME could help in people doing documentation in
>> both projects. When people want to update the current floss manuals they
>> could maybe evaluate this first.
>>
>> We could use mallard as well for API docs, see for example Tomeu's work on
>> documenting the Python API docs from introspection [2], the current API
>> documentation looks rather outdated [3]. Would be a nice project for someone
>> to work on it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Simon
>>
>> [1] http://projectmallard.org/
>> [2]
>> http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2012/02/progress-on-generating-python-api-docs.html
>> [3] http://doc.sugarlabs.org/epydocs/

> Just started a simple example of mallard for Turtle Art. I have to
> admit I enjoy writing documentation in emacs much better than using a
> WYSIWYG editor. +1 to mallard.
>
> -walter
>
> --
> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org

I didn't see it anywhere in the basic mallard docs, but is there a
decent i18n schema? In the case of TA, ideally I could reuse all the
existing help strings from the .po file. That'd cover the bulk of what
I'd need in the manual. I also need to look into generating svgs by
language for the manual.

Do we have a yelp Sugar activity?

-walter
--