[Sugar-devel] Browse and the move to WebKit

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 01:51:03 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On 12-02-17 at 05:33am, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> better news: i've just confirmed that:
>>
>> a) the removal of js_push_context and pop context was a spurious
>>    error, those functions are now restored, confirmed as compiling and
>>    existing (untested)
>> b) the "usual" critical pyjamas-desktop tests, Helloworld,
>>    JSONRPCExample, KitchenSink and Mail all have the exact same
>>    behaviour as they used to, way back before the xpcom API breakage
>>    [where we all had to wait for todd whiteman to update pyxpcom]
>>
>> this is really really good news because it means that the people who
>> have been keeping an eye on the debian packaging of hulahop and have
>> been going "arse! it's fecked!" quite a lot will now be happy that it
>> all works, and i am confident that within a few weeks/months people
>> will be able to do "apt-get install pyjamas-desktop python-hulahop"
>> again and have it all work.
>
> This is indeed quite exciting.  Looking at your patch now and hopefully
> able to release a working Hulahop for Debian.

 ok.  right, update:

 * hulahop works perfectly with xulrunner 9.0
 * hulahop compiles with no modifications for xulrunner 10.0.0 but
segfaults (two bugs)
 * hulahop _and_ xpcom require updates (PRBool->bool) for xulrunner
10.0.2 but segfaults (two bugs)
 * hulahop and xpcom with xulrunner 11 i haven't yet investigated

the first bug is "solved" by compiling with --disable-jemalloc

the second bug is related to window focus, and appears to either be
solved for later versions (> 10.0.2) or is still under investigation:
with the disconnect between the various trees and releases it's hard
to tell without assistance from the mozilla team which patches are
current, relevant etc.

bottom line is: if you can live with xulrunner 9, it works perfectly,
and is quite recent.  and it's a lot better than webkit1.

i really cannot stress enough how much webkitgtk with gobject
introspection "looks" ok from the outside but is actually
fundamentally flawed at the design level.

you are entirely free to completely ignore this advice and entirely
free to do whatever is most useful to you.

l.