[Sugar-devel] [Testing] Fedora Sugar Test Day - Test case content, location

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Feb 18 05:04:37 EST 2012

On 17 February 2012 08:36, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org> wrote:

> On March 22 there will be a Sugar test day for Fedora 17.  This means that
> the Fedora community in general will be gathering to look at Sugar and see
> what issues we have close to the end of the Sugar 0.96 cycle.

While test cases can be useful, I always try to start with some discovery
time as this is when you can get some feedback on design and intuitive
behaviour (though this is impacted by use of other systems with many
users).  Something like:
"Find a friend. Work together to discover how to open the laptop if you
have an XO, or start Sugar. Together try clicking on things and see if you
can learn how to play any games or complete any activities. Can you find
ways to take photos, write stories, make music."
After that, get their feedback on how that went before giving them a test
case. First time users of Sugar can also give you feedback on their
experience of first use of an activity while following testing
instructions. There have been a number of occasions when I have said "oh,
you have to click on that first and then click on that other thing" and
they have said "why is it designed like that?" which really makes us
rethink about the design of activities.
Our basic activity testing template (written a long time ago) is here -
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_testing_template#The_NZ_activity_test

On the topic of tracking testing, we have looked at a number of options
here in NZ and I think Australia also looked at a number of options. In NZ
we tried writing them on wiki.laptop.org but that didn't really work. My
personal method of managing test requests is to try to tag the requests (or
potential requests) in my email inbox when they arrive and then test them
on Saturday, archiving off emails as things are tested. This only works for
us because we meet in one place, not a suitable solution for multiple
testing locations. I personally don't think we should add anymore systems,
but look at ways to use existing systems to manage testing - such as the
two bug trackers we already use or the activities.sugarlabs.org site.

Hope this helps
Tabitha