[Sugar-devel] Automatically joining a shared Activity

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Sat Feb 18 04:21:00 EST 2012

On 16 February 2012 18:02, Danny Iland <iland at cs.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> I'm developing an emergency communication activity for OLPC, based on
> Epidemic routing. The core idea is that when XOs come into Wi-Fi range
> of each other, they pass messages and data back and forth. We are
> attempting to implement this using a shared Activity. However, for
> this to be feasible, we need a way for our Activity to look for
> instances of the Activity being shared by XOs nearby, and to
> automatically join the activity. We don't want the user to have to be
> in the Neighborhood view to find other users, or to take any action to
> connect to nearby XOs. Any advice with regards to this is greatly
> appreciated.

I don't know if anyone has replied to you about this already, but I am
trying to understand the risks associated with this. What will the activity
do? To automatically join, would the user have to already be running the
activity? Would they have some kind of notification appear that they have
connected automatically to someone's activity and what that connection
means? Will it involve the camera or microphone? Is it emergency chat you
are trying to create, like IRC?

Thanks
Tabitha