[Sugar-devel] [FM Discuss] Enhancements for BookType

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:34:11 EST 2012

Edward,

One advantage OLPC and Sugar has is that we use WebKit to read EPUBs.
Among other things that means that we have better support for HTML and
style sheets than the Nook and the Kindle do, so EPUB format books
from Project Gutenberg, which often look badly formatted on the Kindle
render beautifully in the Read Activity.  We can also use JavaScript
in our EPUBs, which the Nook, Kindle, etc. do not support.

The "cover" image of my book "E-Book Enlightenment" shows that book
being read in the Read Activity:

http://www.amazon.com/E-Book-Enlightenment-ebook/dp/B005BYST5I/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329257751&sr=1-3

Note the beautiful drop caps and the correctly aligned image at the
top of the page.  You can't get that on a Kindle!  In fact those same
images look so awful on the Kindle that I was forced to remove them.

As for JavaScript, Sayamindu Dasgupta experimented with that and wrote
about it on his blog a long time ago.  While OBJAVI routinely strips
out style information from your pages before printing them (to avoid
interfering with the printing style sheet you specify) it may leave
JavaScript alone.

Running Python code in a web page would require a specialized
Activity.  Maybe you could make a combination of Read that only did
EPUBs.  You would have a horizontal divider.  In the upper pane you
would have WebKit and in the lower a Python interpreter.  When you
click on a .py link in WebKit code would be loaded into the lower
pane.

Not that I'm volunteering to write such a thing, you understand.

James Simmons