[Sugar-devel] Proposed addition to Sugar

David Mason damason at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 18:14:39 EST 2012

Hi Chris,

> You are, of course, free to keep your code where ever you would like,
> but if you would like to get a significant number of actual users, it
> would be advisable to be set up for i18n and L10n (most Sugar users
> do not speak English).  This is much easier to do if you host your code
> on the Sugar Labs Gitorious instance.

I have my gitorious account ready to go, and am looking for some guidance on setup and development workflow, particularly for regular builds.

My existing code on github is not integrated with sugar code (didn't fork a sugar project, just stored my changes in isolation) so I'm planning to make a clone of sugar's core and manually applying my existing code to the clone. Does this sound sensible, or is there another approach that will make things easier? Which repo/branch would be best to clone? sugar/mainline?

I want to be able to run regular builds and work with the sugar emulator. It looks like I can use jhbuild for this, by pointing it at my local clone of my repo - am I on the right track with this? Is there a wiki page with instructions around this?

Is F16 a good choice of distro, or will another be easier to set up?

Cheers,

David Mason
Software Engineer
L10n Engineering