[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Browse PDF handling

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 01:00:27 EST 2012

2012/2/2 Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org>:

> Am I overlooking something?  Comments?

Sounds good. But Browse already works similar to this on an XO-1
running 11.3.0. E.g. open a PDF Collection from the  "OLPC Library"
home page such as Big Cats or Activity Handbook, and it opens in
Browse in the current Browse window (not a new tab) and isn't added to
the Journal. Is your innovation the Save to Journal?  It seems the
same capability might be useful for other content types you see in the
browser, like video and audio.

One thing I regret is that Read is more usable than Browse in e-book
mode.  The game keys don't work the same in Browse, you have to be
careful to focus the Browse window in order to use the arrow keys,
there's less real estate for content. Somehow I've gotten PDFs to show
in the Journal, and from there I Resume with > Read for a better
reading experience.

Years ago there was mailing list discussion about how opening a URL in
Browse could hand it off to an activity that supports its mime type;
as I recall there were Rainbow security issues. Maybe your explicit
Save to Journal that implicitly saves the data to the XO's storage is
a better approach. In general Sugar has a hard time making useful &
intelligible distinctions between open & bookmark in Browse versus
open & manage in Journal, but that's true of every desktop I've yet
seen, all uneasily dealing with the web. IMO the problem goes away
best when you run *everything* in the browser ;-)

--
=S Page