[Sugar-devel] Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Wed Dec 12 10:37:30 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM, RJV <jv.ravichandran at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are planning to port Sugar on Android and are faced with these options:
>
> 1. Sugar as an application on Android.
> 2. As a platform on top of the Linux platform.
>
> Can the Sugar build be used to create an app bundle to deploy to the app
> store? Are there any licensing issues?
>
> On 2., can someone share their experience, if any, please?

We are very close to having Sugar on a tablet as well as a armel netbook,
based on A10 chipset.  We already have it working through a SD card, we are
now in the process of flashing the internal memory, so that it will work
fast.  Almost all the hardware on A10 chipset is working with the linux
kernel without any binary blobs.

We work in Mumbai.  In case you are around the city, we can meet and
discuss how we can work together.

The reason why 1 is not considered for us an option is:  what children need
is not a desktop that is meant mainly for delivery of content to play
multimedia files and do business communications.  We would like the
children to work, do activities using a workspace that can be used with a
keyboard, though touchscreen may have some advantages for some activities.
Second, Sugar learning platform has plenty of activities to offer which are
not available on Android currently.  and Third, 1 will take a long time
than 2.  So we opted for 2.

--
Nagarjuna G.
http://www.gnowledge.org/