[Sugar-devel] Translation work [Google Code-In 2012]

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:58:28 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Santiago Rodríguez Montero
<srodriguezmontero at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Santiago and I had claimed your task for translation work in
> Google Code-In 2012 (link:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gci/task/view/google/gci2012/8025212). As
> there's not any translation work available yet, James Simmons told me to
> send him an email so as he could tell me when you need me. In this way, I
> could claim the task again.
>
> I would like to know if I'm sending the email to the right email address.
>
> Thank you very much, I will wait gladly for your answer.
> Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina,
>
> --
> Santiago Rodríguez Montero

Dear Santiago,

Yes, you have reached the sugar-dev list as suggested on the GCI task.
 I would suggest that you drop your claim on that task and move on to
look into other tasks.

We may have to reword the task as currently listed.  To be clear,
creating new content for inclusion into the Make your own Sugar
Activties e-book is an acceptable GCI task.

According to the rules of GCI 2012, translation of existing materials
is *not* an acceptable task.

Sugar Labs does not make the rules, but we must follow them.  The task
as phrased might be interpreted to make you think that doing
translation work is an acceptable task, but unfortunately Google
decided not to allow such tasks for GCI2012.

In my opinion this is a pity for a language where quality of
translation is easily confirmed, like Spanish, but those are the rules
as Google has made them.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator.