[Sugar-devel] About speak and other activities GTK3/HIG

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:54:00 EST 2012

On 4 Dec 2012, at 16:07, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Ariel Calzada <ariel.calzada at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> We’re working in the GTK3 porting and HIG adjustments of Speak and other
>> activities we have observations in both fields.
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>

>> HIG/Touchscreen
>>
>> The main concern is that the OSK hides the interface and doesn’t let the
>> textbox be visible for the user. We think that a possible solution should be
>> making OSK has an inputbox above that which displays the inserted text, and
>> thus the speak interface should be shrinked. But this has to be analyzed
>> because should be fixed upstream. As this is transversal to all the
>> activities that could have input text.
>
> I thought the plan of record was (at the Sugar toolkit level) to have
> the activity window scroll up. It would be good to come up with a
> general solution in any case.

Yes good point, if/when it is ported to GTK3 it should automatically inherit this auto scrolling behaviour as seen in the newer builds (working but still needs some tuning).

>> GTK3
>>
>> We have been working in a GTK3 porting of Speak which basically implies
>> usage of Gstreamer 1.0
>>
>> We already have a release version of this porting but it  has many issues.
>> One of them is that the activity runs very very slow and the eyes don’t move
>> correctly when the mouse is moved. So we have to analyse code performance in
>> light of gstreamer and cairo.

Not sure which rep your working from, but make sure all the eye drawing code is correctly drawing in radians, _not_ degrees, for Cairo (easy mistake to make):

	http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/3901

Regards,
--Gary