[Sugar-devel] activity sandbox

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Aug 29 11:34:38 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-29, at 17:01, blekros sugar <blekros.sugar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I'll check out the documentation and get up to speed a little more.  Meantime --
>
> I just want to make sure I understand:
>
> 1.   Sugar activities *are* Python scripts

... usually. Any programming language is fine for writing Sugar activities, as long as it can connect to D-Bus and provide an X11 user interface. But writing them in Python is a lot simpler because you can make use of the Sugar Toolkit (a Python library used by. One example of an activity not written in Python is Etoys.

> -- but they use Linux-specific packages, instead of using os.* or sys.* packages, which wrap the OS that lies beneath.   Same for GTK+.  The GUI cannot be made to use ported versions of the GTK+ API.

That's pretty much correct. At least no-one has seriously tried to make Sugar work elsewhere.

> 2.  The Sugar shell is not a service layer between the bare metal Linux OS and Sugar presentation (its "desktop") .  In other words, the shell cannot be updated to plug into to modern device OSes such as I/Pad or Android.

Well porting the shell is maybe not that hard, but that wouldn't mean the activities simply work, too. That's because activities are not coded purely against the Sugar API but may make use of stuff more generally available in Linux. OTOH some simple activities might just work.

> 3.  No one has attempted to port Activities, i.e. the FUN stuff,  to Browser apps (HTML 5 + Javascript) so any kid with a smart phone could play with, say, Physics, or Turtle.

It wouldn't be so much "porting" as reimplementing. Also you would need a framework for collaboration and journaling first (which is what distinguishes Sugar most from other environments). Individual activities aren't all that interesting IMHO, equivalent apps can be found for pretty much any platform. The way activities are assembled into a whole learning environment is Sugar's raison d'etre.

- Bert -