[Sugar-devel] activity sandbox

blekros sugar blekros.sugar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:01:56 EDT 2012

Thanks, I'll check out the documentation and get up to speed a little more.
 Meantime --

I just want to make sure I understand:

1.   Sugar activities *are* Python scripts -- but they use Linux-specific
packages, instead of using os.* or sys.* packages, which wrap the OS that
lies beneath.   Same for GTK+.  The GUI cannot be made to use ported
versions of the GTK+ API.

2.  The Sugar shell is not a service layer between the bare metal Linux OS
and Sugar presentation (its "desktop") .  In other words, the shell cannot
be updated to plug into to modern device OSes such as I/Pad or Android.

3.  No one has attempted to port Activities, i.e. the FUN stuff,  to
Browser apps (HTML 5 + Javascript) so any kid with a smart phone could play
with, say, Physics, or Turtle.

Brad