[Sugar-devel] Sugar Activity template for HTML5/Enyo

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:33:50 EDT 2012

Lionel,

Your post reminded me of a VERY old post by Sayamindu Dasgupta:

http://sayamindu.randomink.org/ramblings/

He talks about doing things with EPUB format to make more interactive
books.  He doesn't specifically mention JavaScript.

What got me thinking is this:

http://www.amazon.com/E-Book-Enlightenment-ebook/dp/B005BYST5I/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1346102690&sr=1-1&keywords=e-book+enlightenment

Check the book cover.  It is the Read Activity showing the EPUB of the book
"E-Book Enlightenment" being read.  Note that the page layout is quite nice
and includes fancy dropcaps and art that a Kindle or a Nook would make a
mess of or just ignore.  So maybe, just maybe, the Read Activity could
handle JavaScript in an EPUB as well.

If you do "Look inside the book" you'll see that I had to reformat the book
to leave out the art and to use a large first letter instead of the much
nicer dropcap.  The EPUB from archive.org has the original formatting.

So maybe instead of making custom wrappers for Activities that use HTML 5
and JS we could make non-standard EPUBs and accomplish much the same thing.

James Simmons