[Sugar-devel] [Design] On Screen Keyboard – part of the 'get Sugar touch ready' feature set

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 26 16:18:39 EDT 2012

On 26 Aug 2012, at 18:02, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, I've added the output to the discussion page from Maliit listing the language files in a little more detail. I'll put up screenshots of the layouts once I'm a little further along with the style/layout changes (I need to do this as part of my layout change testing anyway):
>>
>>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User_talk:Garycmartin/Maliit
>

> Thanks Gary.  A good start.  As things stabilize I'd love to work with
> folks to document the variants in more detail on the wiki (including
> links to the XML files) in a manner similar to the way the OLPC xkb
> designs are documented on w.l.o
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Keyboard_layouts
>
> There is huge i18n/L10n potential and I can imagine a lot of interest
> in developing additional keyboard XML files to capture scripts that
> are not on Maliit's radar screen yet.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Maliit keyboard layouts _are_ the language files, so if we make even to most trivial of changes for our desired keyboard layout (move a button or add a button etc) then any new language layouts we may later add will be of minimal use to Maliit upstream, unfortunately. Would be nice if the process could go both ways, but unlikely in the short term at least.

Regards,
--Gary