[Sugar-devel] [Design] On Screen Keyboard – part of the 'get Sugar touch ready' feature set

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 22 21:09:18 EDT 2012

On 22 Aug 2012, at 20:58, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:

> 2012/8/22 Gary C Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've pulled together most of the design mockups onto a wiki page [1] for the ongoing work on the Maliit based on screen keyboard (OSK). This is part of the feature set [2] to get the Sugar UI/UX touch ready, as raised by Simon on the mail-list already. Please feel free to use the wiki discussion page, or reply to this email thread if you have any OSK design related feedback!
>
> Excellent!  For the definitive one, what's the highlight color of the keys?

By definitive, do you mean the final selected one? I was hoping to see what the reaction was to these mockups first, but the highlight (on key press) certainly wont be the blue gradient used in the existing maliit olpc-xo theme.  Expect a key press will be a simple monochrome darkening of a key fill (if we go for a light default key fill style), or a brightening of a key fill (if we go for a dark default key fill style). These parts of the style definition are simple png images, so easy to tweak.

The key layout is a more complicated affair as it requires modification of XML files for each language layout [1], so I'd rather lock down an agreed layout before I start trying to apply them to 40+ different languages – and yes I plan to script the edits as far as I can ;) FWIW, looks like this will be a patch set we need to apply to out builds as although maliit supports custom styles (olpc-xo is the one they added for us), their layouts are shared between all styles, so they would be unlikely to accept patches from us wanting to modify them all for Sugar's needs.

Regards,
--Gary

[1] https://gitorious.org/maliit/maliit-plugins/trees/master/maliit-keyboard/data/languages