[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] higher-resolution thumbnails

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Aug 21 11:16:45 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Sascha Silbe <silbe at activitycentral.com> wrote:
>> +1 though this is raises the question of what resolution would be good
>> enough. Ideally we would store images at the full display resolution,
>> and try to minimise the storage space tradeoff by being more
>> aggressive on compression.
>
> +1 on storing in native display size. Folks with larger screens tend to
> have more permanent storage space, making the proportional increase in
> overhead less of an issue. The XO case is going to be the most
> interesting one in terms of storage overhead.

Another overhead to keep in mind: if my understanding is correct, we
synchronously take this screenshot on activity exit and on changing to
another activity (e.g. with the frame). Saving a full-resolution
screenshot (with or without compression) is likely to take quite a
while on XO, especially on XO-1.

Daniel