[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Journal: confirmation before erasing/duplicating an entry

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:48:42 EDT 2012

On 21 Aug 2012, at 13:34, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:

> On 08/21/2012 01:57 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
>> Hi Simon,

>>> Yes, I thought about that as well, actually. In the ListView I think feedback is great, in the DetailView not so much, so the alert would be only in the DetailView?
>>
>> Apologies not to be clear enough, but for both cases (Erase and Duplicate), the confirmation dialogues were intended only for the detail view where the toolbar button icon functions may not be immediately obvious and their resulting action not clear (Duplicate) or undoable (Erase). No need for the dialogues in the main Journal list view as you have to explicitly raise an entries palette and then select the Erase or Duplicate item from those options presented (text and small icon).
>>
>> Regards,
>> --Gary
>
> Controversial part: Ok, maybe I did misunderstand or maybe did want to :) It is true that the erase option is in a Palette, so revealing the Palette is not as easy to be triggered by mistake. But maybe you have fat fingers and 'while wanting choose the option to show the details of that entry' you hit erase by accident - I think I would still play safe here and have a confirmation alert before erasing an item in the ListView.

OK. With the intention to land the multi-select Journal batch feature that covers the case where you might need to tidy up and remove more than a few entries in an efficient manor (just one Dialogue to get past).

> Clear part: Ok, so let's do the alerts in the detail view. Can you set on the wording for both. We need a title and a message.

So for reference, the Activity home list view has a (in my opinion a rather wordy) Erase confirmation dialogue:

 Confirm erase
 Confirm erase: Do you want to
 permanently erase <activity_name>?          ((x) Keep  ((√) Erase)

And Ajay, in his multi-select Journal batch patch, currently has:

 Erase
 Do you want to erase N entries?             ((x) Stop)  ((√) Continue)

I'd propose for both the Journal list & detail views:

 Erase
 Do you want to permanently erase <entry name>?      ((x) Cancel  ((√) Erase)

For the Journal detail view:

 Duplicate
 Do you want to duplicate <entry name>?                 ((x) Cancel  ((√) Duplicate)

Ajay, if folks are happy with the above, could we tweak the dialogue strings in your multi-select patch to match:

 Erase
 Do you want to permanently erase N entries?               ((x) Cancel  ((√) Erase)

 Copy
 Do you want to copy N entries to <target>?                    ((x) Cancel  ((√) Copy)

Simon, if (!) folks agree with above, the Activity home list view dialogue text could be tided up to for consistency ;)

 Erase
 Do you want to permanently erase <activity_name>?    ((x) Cancel  ((√) Erase)

So you wish you'd never asked, right? ;)

Regards,
--Gary