[Sugar-devel] conversations about sugar ui design

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Mon Aug 20 15:11:15 EDT 2012

"We have an opportunity in Peru to do some experiments." - WB

Hi David,
As a member of the Somos Azucar research & development team and direct
responsible for the software distribution prototypes to be piloted in
Peru, I warmly welcome your constructive offer of help.
We (Laura and I) are responsible for the Sugar Network sketches presented
to you by Aleksey, who is doing the back-end implementation to support
specific functionality.

It is important to underline that the Sugar Network client (webui) is an
experimental intervention that hopes to facilitate knowledge exchange
within an initial environment (Sugar and Sugar Activities in Perú).
Of course, there are a wide set of constraints (**).

You can find more information about the Sugar Network project as it is
being implemented for Perú at: http://pe.sugarlabs.org/go/Red_Az%C3%BAcar

Specific goals of the system are: to provide a de-centralized network for
feedback, support and learning resources exchange and distribution.

The current UI implementation is expected to evolve quickly and our
goal is to have a 1.0 release by December 2012 with main functionality.

The UI dev strategy has been to rely on standard HTML+CSS+JS in order to
facilitate rapid UI experimentation by the widest possible group of people
including ourselves.

So far we've sought to directly expose functionality, trying to follow
Sugar's UI style and paradigms of simplicity, reflection and collaboration.
However we are at a stage of reflection into how to better expose
functionality to reflect the system's stated goals to the local community.

As for a design forum, Sugar Network is hoped to become such a forum where
feedback can be collected with the purpose of improving specific system
components (for example, Sugar itself). Your feedback / proposals for improving
the Sugar Network experience are welcome and will be taken into consideration.

I recommend installing Sugar Network locally from the sweets-desktop packages
for you to be able to explore functionality specific to Sugar.
Regards,
Sebastian

(**) most notable constraints in no particular order:
- (almost) no connectivity
- slow hardware / crappy touchpads
- language/cultural barrier
- remote locations