[Sugar-devel] Testing Rotate in sugar-jhbuild

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Sun Aug 19 20:07:09 EDT 2012

> I've been thinking for quite some time that we need a new approach to
> the problem of toolbar items following off the end of the toolbar This
> problem will be greatly exacerbated by the more frequent use of screen
> rotate one would expect with more use of tablet mode on XO 4.0 Touch.
> Most activities have not taken into account the potential squeezing of
> the toolbar by 25% even of they take into consideration general
> resizing of the screen due to rotation.
>
> A simple solution would be to double the vertical size of the toolbar
> and wrap the icons onto a second row.
>
> comments?

It's a really good question.
I am thinking another: We really need rotate the toolbar?
May be had more sense when the old toolbar had text in the tabs...
Is very difficult design a interface making good use of the toolbar size,
and have a option were the toolbar have half the size.
Not all the activities have this problem, but if have more than six
buttons, probably yes.

Maybe we can use the toolbar vertical, in the long side of the screen,
and rotate the icons and the palettes.
The problem with this approach are the activities with wide widgets in the
toolbars.

Another option is have the option of inhibit rotate in a activity,
but is not so easy, what happen when the user switch activities?

Gonzalo